Analyzing Surface Temperature Differences
Observe the image below and answer the following questions.
- What time of year do you predict this to be? Explain your evidence.
- What is the temperature of the air?
- How do the grass temperatures taken in the sunlight differ from the ones taken from the same surface in the shade?
- What is the temperature difference between sunlit concrete and shaded concrete? What does this difference in temperature tell you about how surfaces are heated?
- Based on what you have seen in this image, which type of area do you think is warmer, urban areas (cities and towns) or rural areas (country sides)? Why.
- Write the words "Urban Heat Island" in the center of the Graphic Organizer. Describe the impact you think these differences could have on the Earth spheres: Atmosphere, Biosphere, Cryosphere, Geosphere, and Hydrosphere. Use the graphic organizer provided.
Teachers who are interested in receiving the answer key, please contact MND from your school email address at firstname.lastname@example.org.