What are Tectonic Plates?
Watch the NASA Space Place video Tectonic Forces and answer the questions.
Answer the following questions.
- What is the name of the supercontinent that began to break up about 180 million years ago?
- What happened when the Americans and Africa drifted apart?
- What causes Earth's tectonic plates to move?
- What happens when tectonic plates move apart at the bottom of the ocean?
- Where does the creation of new oceanic crust occur?
- Where is old ocean floor destroyed or recycled?
- What happens when the seafloor is created and destroyed?
- As the continents keep moving, what do scientist think might happen?