Cloud Sort Activity
Learn about the different cloud types and their names. Match cloud photos and names by cloud type and for all types. Evaluate the types of clouds represented in various data displays.
Explore the classification and naming of clouds based on word roots and prefixes. Practice sorting and naming clouds in the following ways:
- Based on altitude
- Based on type
- Multiple cloud types in a sky scene
Review mapped data to determine the types of clouds that could be represented in the images.
- Open the Cloud Sort Activity slide deck.
- Use the slides in "edit" mode so you can move items on the screen.
- Read the content and follow the directions to match pictures and names by dragging and dropping.
- Submit results as directed by your instructor.
Teachers, these mini lessons/student activities are perfect "warm up" tasks that can be used as a hook, bellringer, exit slip, etc.
Teachers who are interested in receiving the answer key, please contact MND from your school email address at firstname.lastname@example.org. We verify that requestors are teachers prior to sending access to the answer keys as we’ve had many students try to pass as teachers to gain access. To receive the keys please provide the following:
- The link to the school/institution’s teacher directory where you are employed so we can verify that you are a teacher
- Ensure that the school email address is provided in your response as we are unable to send to personal email accounts
Supported NGSS Performance Expectations
- 3-ESS2-2: Obtain and combine information to describe climates in different regions of the world.
- MS-ESS2-4: Develop a model to describe the cycling of water through Earth's systems driven by energy from the sun and the force of gravity.
- MS-ESS2-5: Collect data to provide evidence for how the motions and complex interactions of air masses result in changes in weather conditions.