Estimating Biomass Loss from a Large Fire
This is easier to do with the printed Student Page (found under Document Resources). If necessary, you can measure your screen.
- Using a metric ruler, and the conversion 1 mile = 1.61 kilometers, what is the scale of the image in meters per millimeter?
- About what is the total area, in square kilometers, of this photo of Greece and its surroundings?
- About what was the land area, in square kilometers, that was burned?
- What percentage of the total area was lost to the fires?
- Suppose that a typical forest in this region contains about 5.0 kilograms of biomass per square meter. How many metric tons of biomass were lost during the fires?
- Greeks Get Space-Based Help In Wake of Deadly Fires https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/greeks-get-space-based-help-in-wake-of-deadly-fires/
- Landsat Math https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/landsat-math-2/
- Space Math http://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov
Teachers who are interested in receiving the answer key, please contact MND from your school email address at email@example.com.