Identifying Changes in Land Use: Student Activity
This video shows a combination of visualizations made from LandSat data. These data are numbers which are shown on the visualizations as different colors in specific geographic locations. The result looks like a map with different colors. The different colors represent different types of land cover. Animating the visualizations over time can show how the land is changing over time.
Students, review the video and then answer the following questions.
Recommendation: Watch the video one time to get a general idea of what is being discussed while paying close attention to the visualizations. Then, review the questions below for each of the three sections and repeat the video, looking to answer the questions about the three events that occurred. Stop the video at the following times for the events to better view the graphs.
- Clear Cut 0:59
- Bark Beetle 1:39
- Western Spruce Budworm 1:55
- Clear Cut
- What was the trend in the Pacific Northwest before the clear cut?
- When did the clear cut in the Pacific Northwest occur?
- What happened after the clear cut?
- Bark Beetle
- What was the trend in the forest before the Bark Beetle epidemic?
- When was the Bark Beetle epidemic?
- What happened after the Bark Beetle epidemic?
- Western Spruce Budworm
- What was the trend in the forest before the Western Spruce Budworm infestation?
- When was the Western Spruce Budworm infestation?
- What happened after the Western Spruce Budworm infestation?
- Explain the benefit of using the graphs and the visualizations to show the same information.
Teachers who are interested in receiving the answer key, please contact MND from your school email address at email@example.com.