What Elements are in Your Body?
This interactive guides students through exploring how stars create the elements that make up the universe and life itself. Students will be able to identify the key elements in their bodies that were created from exploding stars.
Credit: NASA/CXC/SAO/K. Divona
Resources Needed Per Student:
Resources Needed Per Group:
- Internet Access
- Link to the "What Elements are in Your Body?" Interactive Slide Deck - Link
Remember to never look directly at the Sun without proper safety equipment.
Use the slide deck to complete the activity.
- Open the "What Elements are in Your Body?" Interactive Slide Deck.
- Use the slides in edit mode in order to manipulate the slides.
Teachers who are interested in receiving the answer key, please complete the Teacher Key Request and Verification Form. We verify that requestors are teachers prior to sending access to the answer keys as we’ve had many students try to pass as teachers to gain access.
Supported NGSS Performance Expectations
- MS-ESS2-1: Develop a model to describe the cycling of Earth's materials and the flow of energy that drives this process.
- MS-PS4-2: Develop and use a model to describe that waves are reflected, absorbed, or transmitted through various materials.
- HS-ESS1-1: Develop a model based on evidence to illustrate the life span of the Sun and the role of nuclear fusion in the Sun’s core to release energy that eventually reaches Earth in the form of radiation.
- HS-ESS1-2: Construct an explanation of the Big Bang theory based on astronomical evidence of light spectra, motion of distant galaxies, and composition of matter in the universe.
- HS-ESS1-3: Communicate scientific ideas about the way stars, over their life cycle, produce elements.
- HS-PS1-1: Use the periodic table as a model to predict the relative properties of elements based on the patterns of electrons in the outermost energy level of atoms.
- Students be able to identify the key elements in their bodies created in stars.
- Students will be able to describe how massive stars create the elements that make up the universe and life itself.
- How do stars create the elements that make up the universe and life itself?
- How is the periodic table a map of the history of our universe?
- Internet Required