Phytoplankton Distribution and Watersheds
Using interactive maps of chlorophyll concentration, students will identify patterns to describe the relationship between phytoplankton and watersheds.
This interactive model is one of a three-part sequence of learning experiences related to Global Phytoplankton Distribution. To maximize optimal learning outcomes, it is suggested to complete the series in the following order:
- Global Phytoplankton Distribution Interactive Model
- Phytoplankton Distribution and Watersheds Interactive Model (current page)
- Chlorophyll Concentration and Incoming Shortwave Radiation Interactive Model
- Students will analyze and describe the distribution of phytoplankton over time and space.
- Students will identify patterns in chlorophyll concentration data to formulate their explanations of phytoplankton distribution.
- What can you claim about the relationship between phytoplankton and watersheds?
- What questions could you ask about these data?
- Internet Access
- Link to Phytoplankton Distribution and Watersheds Interactive Model
Teacher Answer Key
Teachers who are interested in receiving the answer key, please complete the Teacher Key Request and Verification Form. We verify that requestors are teachers prior to sending access to the answer keys as we’ve had many students try to pass as teachers to gain access.
Supported NGSS Performance Expectations
- 4-ESS2-2: Analyze and interpret data from maps to describe patterns of Earth’s features.
- 5-ESS2-1: Develop a model using an example to describe ways the geosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere, and/or atmosphere interact.
- MS-LS2-3: Develop a model to describe the cycling of matter and flow of energy among living and nonliving parts of an ecosystem.
- HS-ESS2-6: Develop a quantitative model to describe the cycling of carbon among the hydrosphere, atmosphere, geosphere, and biosphere.