Hurricane Harvey's Effect on Soil Moisture
Hurricane Harvey dropped record-breaking amounts of rainfall, particularly around Houston, Texas on August 25, 2017. Review the map that shows changes in soil moisture before and after the hurricane and answer the questions below. Note: Soil moisture is expressed in volumetric terms, water by volume/volume of soil.
Answer the questions below.
- What does the size of the dot represent?
- What do the colors represent?
- What area was the most impacted by Hurricane Harvey? How do you know?
- Why do you think there was not a change in soil moisture in the city of Houston?
- What is one question you have when looking at this map?