Changing Air Temperatures
This mini lesson engages students in writing a commentary for a NASA video regarding changes in global temperatures from 1880 to 2017.
- Review the NASA video on global temperatures from 1880 to 2017.
- Write the commentary (a descriptive spoken account (as if you were a NASA broadcaster) of the events as they happen in the NASA video on global temperatures. You will explain what is happening in this video.
Purpose: Consider using this mini lesson during the last 10 minutes of the class period/lesson to assess students formative learning.
Teacher Directions: For this mini lesson, have students write the commentary for the NASA video on global temperatures from 1880 to 2017. Instruct students to explain what is occurring in this video.
Options for scaffolding:
- Depending on what you talked about during the day, you can narrow down the portion of the video student should make commentary on to only 20 seconds.
- You can show the full video then provide students with three pictures that they need to provide commentary too. You can give each group the same three pictures or you can divide up the video so as a class you create the full commentary for the video.
- Depending on the age of your students, you can choose to not provide an example of commentary.
- Option: Consider using FlipGrid, or other technological tool to differentiate the task.