Global Phytoplankton Distribution Story Map
This content has been moved. You can find it under Global Phytoplankton Distribution Story Map link.
Supported NGSS Performance Expectations
- 4-ESS2-2: Analyze and interpret data from maps to describe patterns of Earth’s features.
- 5-ESS2-1: Develop a model using an example to describe ways the geosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere, and/or atmosphere interact.
- MS-LS2-3: Develop a model to describe the cycling of matter and flow of energy among living and nonliving parts of an ecosystem.
- HS-ESS2-6: Develop a quantitative model to describe the cycling of carbon among the hydrosphere, atmosphere, geosphere, and biosphere.
- HS-LS2-5: Develop a model to illustrate the role of photosynthesis and cellular respiration in the cycling of carbon among the biosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, and geosphere.
- Students will analyze and compare multiple variables of the Earth System as they analyze the global distribution of phytoplankton.
- Students will observe annual patterns in chlorophyll concentration and shortwave radiation.
- Students will construct explanations and conclusions using evidence.
- What conditions within the Earth System allow phytoplankton to thrive?
- How do changes in shortwave radiation affect the distribution of phytoplankton?
- What affect do sea surface temperature and ocean currents have on distribution of phytoplankton?
- How does chlorophyll concentration indicate the presence of phytoplankton?
- How do phytoplankton contribute to the carbon cycle?
- Internet Required