El Niño: Elementary GLOBE
What in the World is Happening to Our Climate? This storybook follows the GLOBE Kids as they take an adventure and learn that climate change affects the whole world, from the tropics to the poles.
Through learning activities, students:
- learn how the weather over a long period of time describes climate
- explore how sea level rise can affect coastal communities and environments
- describe how humans are contributing to climate change
- brainstorm ways we can take action to solve this problem
Elementary GLOBE Learning Activity: Weather Adds Up to Climate
This storybook follows the GLOBE Kids as they gain experience describing and reporting weather. They also learn how weather patterns over a long period of time are used to describe the climate of a location.
- NGSS PE K-ESS2-1: Use and share observations of local weather conditions to describe patterns over time.
- NGSS PE 3-ESS2-1: Represent data in tables and graphical displays to describe typical weather conditions expected during a particular season.
- NGSS DCI ESS2-D: Weather and Climate
- NGSS Crosscutting Concept: Patterns
- NGSS Science and Engineering Practices: •Analyzing and Interpreting Data •Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information •Engaging in an Argument from Evidence
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.MD.C.4 Represent and interpret data.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.D.10 Represent and interpret data.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.MD.B.3 Draw a scaled bar graph.